Friday, June 10, 2011

Digital Collage - Steampunk Lepidopterist


                             The Duchess Lynnewood, Lepidopterist and Traveler

         Tonight I created a digital collage inspired by a photo I took of my friend Vanessa as the Duchess Lynnewood, Lepidopterist and Traveler at Wild Wild West Con in Tucson. It's a western Steampunk convention that was held in Tucson this year. Steampunk is a genre of science fiction, literature, technology taken from a Victorian perspective. Think H.G. Wells and Jules Verne and you're on the right track.
          The circumstance on the photo is quite interesting. Vanessa was posing for a photographer who was creating tintype photos from his portable darkroom. While waiting for him to get the chemicals ready I took this shot.
          I applied a color gradient to the original photo in Photoshop. For ephemera I used the back of a vintage postcard which I pasted longways atop the original photo. I played around with opacity until I achieved the desired effect. I combined both images and applied a slight vignette. Here is the original edited photo below.


You can view more of my digital art and original photography on my website at Agezinder Arts - Zenfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment